Skip to main content

Suroy-Suroy sa Sugbo Day 1: Cebu City

 

As I’ve mentioned on my previous post, here is the crazy story of how things really went during my 4-day birthday trip in Cebu, Philippines. 

Traveling on your own is both freeing and limiting at the same time. It is freeing in a sense that you have your time in your own hands – you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. Also, it is freeing in a sense that your self-discoveries liberate you. You count on no other person but yourself and you get to know your capabilities and limits better. You grow.

On the other hand, it is also a limiting experience. Well, maybe not for all. But for those who are just starting, there might be some struggles. In my personal experience, being the awkward person that I am was somehow a hindrance to me doing things. I don’t have that much photos to show from the trip because taking photos in public wasn’t really my forte. And as a solo traveler, I try to be as inconspicuous as possible when in public (safety measure). I don’t want to seem too touristy so it was just awkward trying to take photos.

This was my first time to travel alone at a great distance. My flight was rescheduled twice from the original 6:15 a.m. to the 9:40 a.m. one that, luckily, didn’t anymore get delayed. The estimated time of arrival was 11:00 a.m. but the plane landed at around 11:15 and I still had to wait for my checked-in luggage. I was able to finally exit the airport at around 12 noon and by then, I was already so hungry. And so, I made Bad Decision Number One. 

Bad Decision Number One: I paid for a private vehicle for rent to transport me to the hotel, and it cost me PHP475.00.

Well, I couldn’t really say that it’s a bad decision at that time since the queue at the taxi bay was extremely long and my hunger just couldn’t wait any longer. Maybe the monetary damage was worth it, after all.

Traffic wasn’t that awful even though it’s lunch time, thank God! By 12:30 p.m., I finally reached the hotel, dropped off my luggage at the front desk, and went out to eat at the nearest fastfood I could find. (Maybe that’s what I’d call the real Bad Decision Number One. There was a Jollibee branch at the airport. If I’d known I’d be eating at a fastfood once I get to the hotel, I would’ve just eaten there and waited in line at the taxi bay. Though that would be a waste of more time.)
After having lunch, since my check-in time was still 2:00 p.m., I decided to visit the nearest tourist spots: Magellan’s Cross, Basilica Minore del Santo Niño, and Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral.

The famous Magellan’s Cross

Basilica Minore del Santo Niño

Church Interiors 💜

Cebu Cathedral’s bell tower

Sadly, there was an ongoing wedding ceremony, so I wasn’t able to enter the church.

I was planning to walk farther to see the Heritage of Cebu Monument but it was too hot outside and I was anxious that I might not make it back to the hotel in time for check-in, so I just walked back.

At around 2:00 p.m., I was already in my room. I rested for a while, started unpacking some of my things, and took some time to freshen up. After all these, I realized that it was almost 4:00 p.m. I didn’t want to waste anymore time lazing around in my room, so I already went out.

Selfie! 😊

Next stop was Plaza Independencia, also just a few blocks away from the hotel I’m staying at.

As a plaza is always expected to be, it is a wide open park. I saw a lot of students practicing routines here and there, probably for their P.E. class or maybe for a school presentation. It also is a very peaceful place – perfect for relaxing. 

The inscription below says:

Also found in the plaza: Cebu Veteran’s Memorial

Just behind Plaza Independencia is another must-see spot in Cebu City, and that is where I went next: Fort San Pedro.

Fort San Pedro is the oldest and smallest fort in the Philippines. It began as a single triangular bastion made of logs and mud in 1565. It served different purposes at various times in the island’s history: a prison for local rebels, a classroom, a prison camp and fortification, a hospital, and finally, an army camp.

You will have to pay a Php30.00 entrance fee to see the fort.

Side story: I stood in the middle of the fort and started filming a 360-degree video of the place. This tourist saw me, and when I was filming the area where he was standing, he started dancing around. 😄

After Fort San Pedro, I had to go back to the hotel to freshen up once more in preparation for the 5:30 p.m. Anticipated mass at the Basilica.

Thankfully, I got to the church just in time for the mass. I’m not sure if they hold masses inside the old church, but that evening, it was held outside – at the open area. And then is started raining. And of course, will God ever let anyone who came for Him get sick because of the rain? Of course not! So as the mass came to an end, the only sprinkling of water we got was that of the Holy water. #blessed 😄

Basilica Minore del Santo Niño at night

After mass, I went back to the hotel to ask the receptionist which jeepney I’d have to ride to get to Fuente Osmeña Circle. They told me to take the 06B jeepney (I honestly can’t anymore remember the exact route this jeepney was plying).

Upon reaching the circle, I sat on a bench for a while just to admire the fountain (although it was at a standstill at that time) and to find my way to the famous Larsian (mapped my way through. Lol!).

The Fuente Osmeña was built in honor of the late President Sergio Osmeña, the fourth president of the Philippines. It is also a symbol of the Cebuano’s courage and pride.

After a few minutes of searching via Google Maps, I was on my way to one of Cebu City’s must-try food spots: Larsian BBQ.

Larsian sa Fuente

As the name of the place says, it is this huge barbecue haven. It looks like a big food court wherein you’ll have lots of options on where to buy, but I am sure all of the stalls serve nothing but the best and freshest food. And what’s unique about this spot is that you get to eat the traditional Filipino way: using your hands. 😊 No need to fret, though, as they provide plastic gloves to ensure that things don’t get all messy.

Panihapon (dinner) for one! 😊 Yes, that’s a whole grilled milkfish just for me. 😄

Though I was alone, it was fun just enjoying my food while watching vendors try to convince new customers to try the food in their stalls.

After seeing all the places I’ve seen and having a hearty and heavy dinner at Larsian, it was already time to get some rest. If you’ve seen my previous post, you’ll see how many of the places I planned to visit on my first day I wasn’t able to visit. But this day was fulfilling, nevertheless. 

I got back to the hotel at around 8:30 p.m., bought some food at the nearest convenience store for my trip on the second day, got myself ready for bed, and, well, that’s how Day 1 went. 😊


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rise of a New IT PARK and International Hotel

The site will be developed to accommodate the construction of a hotel and Business Processing Centers which will attract more investments in the area. These centers are forecasted to generate around 60,000 jobs for the Cebuano people. The site will be developed to accommodate the construction of a hotel and Business Processing Centers which will attract more investments in the area. These establishments  are forecasted to generate around 60,000 jobs for the Cebuano people. 

Hidden Wall: Rock Climbing in Cebu, Philippines

There's a newly bolted line in Barangay Poog, Cebu Province called "The Hidden Wall." The cliff was bolted by Escanio, a low-key and highly perceptive climber who splits his time between the Philippines and Italy. To get there, face the main wall of Poog. Stick your right arm to the side and follow that direction for one hundred meters. You will see this formation below: The hidden crag is a two-minute walk away from the main wall, tucked behind another rock. This is the approximate location on Google Maps . (All photos are from Adrian a.k.a. Dokito) Ancient Ruins Local climbers also call the new area "Ancient Ruins": On account of blocks of rocks that have evenly spaced semi-funnels on the side -- which looks like it's part of an occult alien temple from the years before human words were invented. Four bolted lines As of now, there are four bolted routes (from left to right). All the grades are unconfirmed because we need more opinion to a

Soon to RISE!

There are plans for an international hotel to be constructed on this site, as well as an IT Park extension on the site, which will attract a large amount of investment and create 60,000 for startups in the area. Best in Cebu, Cebu Hotels , New IT Park